Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Crushes… Commitment… Friendship… & other “grown up” things…

So as a Sagittarius I have an interesting view on relationships and commitment… & pretty much anything really… (I shall try to remain focused in this piece) My view may not be what you think but ponder it and share your ideas/thoughts.



Webster defines:


Friend as someone whom one knows and likes…
Boyfriend/Girlfriend as a favored male/female companion or sweetheart, a male/female friend…
Commit(commitment) as to be responsible for, to entrust or cosign, to place in official custody or confinement, or to pledge or obligate oneself…
Crush as an infatuation (to arouse an extravagant or foolish love in)…


Now it seems as though these meanings are tricky. Perhaps it is just the archer mind but if one is to be my favored male companion or sweetheart that would leave the door open for me to have other males who may not be as favored (I’m just saying…).


Don’t get me wrong, I am all for commitment. I want to one day have that guy who can be there for me and I can be there for him no matter what is going on in our lives. That is the ideal. That is when you know you have your soul mate.


But what to do until then???


I have been confused by the whole dating scene and titles people give each other. I understand that as adults we create some interesting relationship situations for ourselves that Webster may not have developed a word/definition for.


If I have friends do I define each friendship differently? And if I do is there a need for me to have to explain it each time?


Imagine if I tell my son that a certain guy is a “friend”. If he sees me kissing that guy he is going to say he isn’t my friend he is my boyfriend. How can I argue with him on that? I don’t kiss my female friends. So if a guy shares that same title he should be treated the same. Right?


Everything is tricky when you look through the eyes of a child where life is really cut and dry. They are just learning how adults play with language.


That being said I don’t think that you should have to explain your relationship to anybody. As long as both parties are on the same page then go for it.

So what about the phenomenon on facebook called "it's complicated".  Seriously... if "it's complicated" why are you even bringing it up on facebook?  Of course it could be because you are trying to converse with people about it.  I mean I don't do it, but I always want to inbox (or even wall post) asking what is so complicated about it.  I mean you do know you have the option not to even post your relationship status on facebook... right? :)


So why did I include crushes…


I am all for crushes. You know that guy or girl that you see and you like but you don’t really know if you have the guts to see if they feel it to? Or if you don’t know them that well to know if you want to take it beyond the fantasy into reality. Perhaps it is a friend that you wish would be more than that but aren’t sure you are willing to take on the potential risk to the friendship. Maybe they are taken. Whatever it is crushes are cool. They seem childish… but sometimes we all need to just relax and take it there. Is there really a need to go after every guy or girl we are remotely interested in?

No comments:

Post a Comment